Site Search

Advice for Beginners - Some Advice For New & Accidental Landlords

In every town and city in the UK more and more properties are being let out by private Landlords. Demand for rental properties has never been higher and as many people are failing to sell their property in this current economic climate they are stumbling into the rental industry - becoming "accidental landlords".

What do Landlords need to protect themselves and their investment? We can offer you, the Landlord, the following products and services.

Although the following are not legally required it is highly recommended that you have them in place to protect your investment.

Landlord Buildings Insurance

If you have a mortgage then it is highly probable that your mortgage provider will require that you have a specialist Landlord Buildings Insurance policy in place before you rent your property out. Remember, if your mortgage was set up on an owner occupied basis you will need to inform your provider that the property is now let out.

Landlord Buildings Insurance protects you from a wide range of eventualities such as:

  • Accidental Damage
  • Theft & Malicious Damage by Tenants
  • Property Owners Liability Cover
  • Alternative Accommodation for your Tenants following an Insured Peril
  • Loss of Rent following an Insured Peril

Landlord Buildings Insurance is something you should consider before ever letting your property out. You can obtain a no obligation quote here or call our friendly Insurance Team on 0845 345 0315

Landlord Contents Insurance

If you will be providing furnishings in your property for the use of the tenant then it is highly recommended that you have a Landlord Contents Insurance policy in place.

A policy like this will cover you from a wide range of eventualities such as:

  • Accidental Damage Cover
  • Theft & Malicious Damage by Tenants
  • New for Old Cover
  • Cover for Common Parts

Accidents happen and you cannot always afford to replace damaged or stolen furnishings; it makes sense to have a policy in place. You can obtain a no obligation quote here or call our friendly insurance team on 0845 345 0315

Tenant Referencing

You want to get the right tenant in your property first time round but how do you cut out some of the risk involved in choosing the right tenant? You should seriously consider carrying out a comprehensive Tenant Reference check.

Referencing your potential tenant is highly recommended. Carrying out a reference on your tenant before offering them the tenancy to your property can save you from months of heartache of attempting to get them back out if they turn out to be bad payers.

Remember! This property is your investment and even though we all like the personal touch you should remember that this is first and foremost a business transaction.

Find out more information about our Tenant Referencing here or you can contact our referencing team directly on 0845 345 1705 or by emailing

Rent Guarantee Insurance

You should strongly consider having a Rent Guarantee Insurance Policy in place. Although it is not a necessary policy to have it may prevent a lot of stress in the future.

Even with all the relevant checks in place Landlords must remember that the Tenant's circumstances can change very quickly. In this type of economic climate your tenant's financial situation can change overnight; a tenant reference may show that they can pay now but it cannot predict what their circumstances will be in future.

Therefore, it is advisable that you should consider having a combination of Tenant Referencing and Rent Guarantee in place. Using Tenant Referencing can look into a tenant's past, but it cannot predict the future.

For that reason, in order for Landlords to fully protect their rental income they need to combine Tenant Referencing and Rent Guarantee Insurance, which we can do for you here at Leaseguard.

Home Emergency

You have your buildings insurance and rent guarantee insurance in place, you've found the perfect tenant and everything is going great. Time to relax! Until you get that call at midnight…on Christmas Eve - the toilet's blocked and is overflowing!

As a Landlord it is your responsibility to deal with any repairs or maintenance; how can you find a reliable repairman? More importantly how can you avoid that unwelcome wake up call? With Home Emergency cover from Leaseguard!

With this cover you will be able to access a 3 way call system, day or night, which gives you instant access to assistance to resolve your emergencies quickly. Your tenant can contact the help desk directly - open 24/7, 365 days a year! No hassle for you! A fully trained, local tradesperson will arrive at an agreed appointment time with the tools needed to complete the job.


Plumbing & Drainage

Sudden failure of, or damage to, the plumbing and drainage system. This includes leaking pipes, blocked drains, water tanks and blockages in toilet waste pipes.

Gas & Electrical Supply

Sudden and complete failure or breakdown of the electrical or gas supply within your property.

Security & Glazing

Damage caused to external locks, doors and windows which render your property insecure.


Professional extermination and control of pests in your home including cellars and adjoining outbuildings.


Damage to the roof of your home caused by storm, fallen trees or branches. (This cover does not extend to properties within blocks of flats).

Primary Heating System (Optional)

Complete failure or breakdown of either the heating and / or hot water supply provided by your primary heating system.


Contact our friendly Insurance Team today on 0845 345 0315 or email them at to find out more!

Call Leaseguard Today!

Now that you know about us and what we do we would love to find out more about you! Contact us today to get a personal, no obligation quote and see what Leaseguard can do for you!

Contact our friendly team on 0845 345 0315 or email them at or simply click here to run through a quick online quote!

Posted By Admin on Thursday, October 6, 2011 | Type: Blog

Your Renewal Reminder Service, Let Us Remind You